Monday, June 16, 2014

Well I hope that everyone had a fun weekend, and that all the Dad's out there had a wonderful Father's Day! It was a quiet weekend here in 'Blogville', as I had a tooth extracted on Friday, in preparation of having an implant done. So not much got done, although Karen and I had a great time on Saturday night catching up with my old hockey buddy Dave Karp and his wife Linda. Hadn't seen Dave or Linda since about 1980, but we reconnected on Facebook, and were really committed to getting together. It was such fun, and we are looking forward to a renewed friendship going forward. Sunday saw us at Billy's softball games, and while his team "Bomb Squad" lost two, we had a good time. Later in the day, Tommy and I caught up a bit, and it was a nice Father's Day. And then, it was "what's for dinner"? I was in the mood for a burger, and Karen wanted to take me out, but I thought that with the tooth still sore, it would be better to make our own. So I ran to Waldbaum's for some fresh ground beef, and when I got home, decided to make "Jucy Lucy" burgers. These are found in the Minneapolis area, and I've had them there, they are cheeseburgers with the cheese INSIDE the burger, all melty and gooey, very tasty.
So, I cracked open a bottle of a very cool beer, and went to town. And here, for you, in photos, is the tale of the Jucy Lucy's!
Here's the beer that accompanied the making of the burgers, a nice Chocolate Stout, that I think Tommy may have brought over a while back. Quite nice, deep and tasty, without being overly dark, with a nice cocoa flavor.

 Then, time to make the burgers:
The trick to getting these things right, is to measure out 1/4 lb of meat for each burger, and roll it into a ball. Then, split each of these into two equal 1/8 lb balls, and form them into very thin patties. Take 1 slice of good American Cheese (that's the traditional cheese; you can use swiss, or mozzarella, whatever), split it into four pieces, and carefully spread them out in the center of one patty. Put the second patty on top of the cheese covered patty, then firmly seal the two patties together, being careful to really pinch the edges together. You can cook them in a skillet, or on a flat top, but I grilled these. Heated the grill on 'high', then turned it down to medium, and cooked them for about 4 minutes per side. Here's the finished product:
You can see that each burger 'leaked' a bit, but I handled them gently with the spatula, and lost very little of that hot, melted goodness. Topped 'em with s&p, ketchup, mustard (not for Karen though), and pickles, and boy, were they good! Here's proof!

Now that's good looking - and so is the burger! You can see the melted cheese sandwiched between the two nicely cooked patties. Takes a little effort, but man, it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment