Thursday, September 29, 2016

Getting Out On The Road Again!

Now that summer's over, and before all the CPO Classes get rolling again, I've a short window of opportunity to get back out on the road, and I've got two trips planned that should be fun, as well as interesting. Or maybe 'challenging' is a better term for the first trip.
The National Recreation and Park Conference is being held in Saint Louis this year, and I've decided to attend. Although it's been some time since I was employed full time in the Recreation field, I try to keep up with what's going on in the profession, so that I can advise clients, field questions, and even put some of the newer ideas to use at places I work. Plus the last time the Conference was in St. Louis, I couldn't go, so I'd like to experience it this time around.
Normally, I'd jump in my 2014 Challenger/Cuda and head down the road. But, this trip gives me a chance to do something cool. St. Louis sits right on Route 66, on a portion of the road that I've not traveled. And, I've been asked to give a presentation next month at the Cortland State Recreation Conference about Route 66 and it's lasting effect on American Culture. So, what better way to prep for that than to cruise for a bit on 66? And better yet, how about taking that ride in a classic car? Yeah, that's the ticket! Take the old Yellow Fish out to Saint Louis, then cruise back to NY along Route 66, taking loads of photos, eating great road food, and stopping at the tourist spots! 

Yeah, that sounds like a solid plan! Take that old gal for a nice long ride; no power steering or power brakes; no air conditioning; a three speed manual transmission; what could go wrong? Of course, I did have my mechanic give the car the once over, generally speaking, it's in really good shape. I've packed extra anti-freeze, oil, a spare fan belt and a couple of ballast resistors (the slant six's Achilles heel; a $2 electrical part that blows out regularly, causing a 'no start' condition). And I'm feeling pretty good about the trip. Of course, you can't make the same kind of time in this old car that you can in a modern one. So on the way out, instead of two days to St. Lou, it'll be 3, most of which will be done on Turnpikes and Interstates. I'll certainly post short notes about that trip. But the fun stuff will be on the way back, as I trace Route 66 up through Illinois. I've not ridden on this part of 66 before, so it will be a learning experience, and hopefully full of new and interesting places. I've got my Route 66 maps out, and while the trip looks a bit tricky, it also looks like fun! So keep your eyes out for posts starting next week, and keep your fingers crossed that I don't have to call for any tows!
After St. Louis, home for a day or two, then back out on the road for a trip to Nashville, TN, to do a CPO Instructor School with my buddies. This time, I'm taking the Challenger, and will do the trip down rather quickly, figure two days. 



Karen is flying in to meet me, and we'll have a couple of days together to sight see before the school gets going. Nashville is a cool town, I was there years back for a conference, and there's a lot to see and do, so I'm looking forward to this trip as well. On the way back, I'll probably take a little detour off the interstates, and cruise some of the nicer more scenic roads coming north, perhaps the Shenandoah or Blue Ridge Parkways. We'll see. In any case, two fun trips in the next couple of weeks, a good way to get into the new season.

No comments:

Post a Comment