Tuesday, July 29, 2014

As the calendar prepares to roll over into a new month, I'm getting ready for the first real long road trip since I began writing this blog. It's been almost a year in the planning, and I'm really looking forward to it, for several reasons.
First, I'll be doing the drive that so many of us road warriors think and dream about; NY to CA, the true 'coast to coast' trip. Yes, I know, I did NY to WA, and that technically is 'coast to coast', but there's something about making the run between those two iconic states that road trippers have always dreamed of.
Because the last cross country trip took me north, and since this one is taking me to Los Angeles, I'll be driving on long stretches of 'new' roads. Well, they're new to me at least. And that's sort of exciting, even though much of the trip will be on the much maligned Interstate System, due to time considerations. But I'll be passing through cities and towns that I've never been in, and seeing things that I've not seen before. Eating at places I've never heard of, or ones that have become legendary among folks who take these long trips. For those reasons alone, I'm looking forward to this trip.
So, why am I going to L.A.? What's so important that it could get me, a notorious non-fan of CA to visit the land of fruits and nuts and taco huts?
Those of you who follow this blog, and my Facebook posts know that I am a fan and admirer of George Reeves and The Adventures of Superman television show. Well, this year marks a lot of anniversaries in the world of Superman, and the t.v. show. 
First, it's the 100th anniversary of the birth of the two men who first created Superman, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who first dreamed up the character when they were high school students. That's pretty cool in itself.
Second, as I noted earlier this year, this is also the 100th anniversary of the birth of George Reeves, the one and only true Superman.

Third, a group of fans of the television show have contributed to erect a plaque honoring the only time in the 104 episodes of the show that the five principal actors (George, Noel Neill, Jack Larson, John Hamilton, Robert Shayne) were all out of the studio on location at the same spot. A small grassy island in Tarzana California. As a good fan of the show, I made a small (very small) donation to the plaque, and was invited to the unveiling ceremony.
And finally, to honor the three events, a celebratory luncheon is being held at the Beverly Garland Hotel on the afternoon of the plaque dedication. Along with a large number of fans of the show, many of the remaining actors and actresses who appeared in the show, relatives of performers who have passed on, and some celebrities who were influenced by the show will be attending. A special video presentation is being prepared, and it appears to be quite an afternoon. Jack Larson, who portrayed Jimmy Olsen, has confirmed his attendance; unhappily, Noel Neill, the second Lois Lane in the series, is in rather frail health at age 93 and is unable to attend.
So it's going to be quite a fun celebration in L.A., and I'm happy to be able to attend. I'll be stopping off to see some friends and relatives both on the way out, and on the way back, and will also be hitting some roadside attractions and other typical tourist spots. I'll have the cameras, and the laptop, so I should be able to post some great 'trip reports' both here and on Facebook. So keep your eyes on the blog, the fun begins when I leave on August 10! 

No comments:

Post a Comment