Sunday, August 10, 2014

On the road again!
Off to an early start, left at 6:30 this morning, and had a wonderful day's ride. Good weather, no traffic getting out over the GW, and a nice, if somewhat straight, trip out I-80 through NJ, PA, and OH.
The 'Blue Cuda' is a terrific car for long trips. Very comfortable, with a nice adjustable driver seat, plenty of leg room (even for someone of my 'average' height!), and great road manners. Car has plenty of power for merging, and for passing, great brakes, and although it's got a rather stiff suspension, it rides very smoothly. And unlike my little PT, it's got a good sized gas tank. You don't realize how much time you gain when you don't have to stop every 225-250 miles for gas!

As a result, I went a lot farther than I had anticipated; I had planned to stop near the intersection of I-80 and I-75 near Toledo, but it was barely 2:30 when I sailed past there. So I gave up in Elkhart Indiana, at around 4:30 or so.

Elkhart, Indiana; the RV capital of the USA it would seem. Several manufacturers of RV's and Motorhomes are based here, there are several "RV Superstores" here, and of all things, the RV & Motorhome National Hall of Fame! Now, as big a fan as I am of 'halls of fames', I am at a loss to come up with what might be inside this place. I passed it by, and there were probably 75 - 100 RV's in the parking lot, of all sizes and conditions, and a nice brick building with an 'Event Center' and what looked like a large exhibit hall. Unfortunately, the place had closed at 4 pm, and so I was unable to get in and check it out. Possibly on the way back, we'll see which route I take.

On to dinner.


 
There weren't a lot of local spots, other than an Asian Buffet, and as tempting as that was (not), I decided to hit the local Steak and Shake - "Famous For Steakburgers", as the sign says. I've eaten at S&S before, most recently last Fall in Indianapolis, but they have a rotating set of 'special' burgers on the menu, and you don't always have the same choices. However, neither the 'guacamole' burger, nor the 'Wisconsin butter burger' really sounded good to me, so I got the old standby, the original Double Steak & Cheese.

If you're like me, the first thing you notice is how skinny the fries are - they're about half the width of a typical McDonalds fry, which is pretty thin to begin with. Fortunately, as they usually are, these were very hot, crisp, and had the right amount of salt on them. Tasty!

Ahh, now that's a well topped burger! Three full pickle slices, not just chips; lettuce, tomato, onion, and as you usually find outside the NY Metro area, ketchup AND mustard. Two patties, well seared, cooked fully, but not dried out, and a nice, fresh bun. Overall, this is one fast food place that I'd like to see in NY. However, with the opening of the Smash Burgers, Five Guys, Shake Shacks, and the impending return of Hardee's, I'm doubtful that we'll be getting "Steakburgers" at any time soon.

Okay gang, I'll be out early again tomorrow, and since I went further west than I though, I'm hoping to make Omaha, NE tomorrow night. Stay tuned for more!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment