Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Last night on the road, so this one will be a short post. Good day on the road, except for some nasty thunderstorms and heavy rain from about St. Louis to just outside of Indianapolis. 
PIZZA
 Toss in a few lane closures for repairs, and I was about 45 minutes late on my estimated arrival in Columbus OH, where I was stopping to see my niece Mara and her family. But, before that,
Lunch!

 This is a well known chain here in the mid west, which has grown rapidly since being founded in the 80's, now with over 500 locations. 
PIZZA
They're known for 'Buttterburgers', fried chicken, and frozen custard (which is really popular in the KS and MO areas.
Here's the burger (well, okay, this is off the internet, 'cause I didn't shoot photos today);
My burger actually looked like that picture, as if someone gave a damn when they put it together and packed it in the wrapper! 
PIZZA
And it was so good! What makes this a 'Butterburger' is the heavily buttered and toasted roll that it's served on. And it's a good roll, the butter actually brings out some flavor in the bread, which goes well with the burger. 
PIZZA
The burger itself is sort of like a 'Smashburger', a patty that's smushed under the spatula on a very hot grill. This creates a little 'crust' on the burger and brings a lot of flavor with it. Toppings were a nice slice of a deep red actual tomato, not the orange wax you usually find, lettuce, pickles, and a thick slice of red onion. 
PIZZA
I had them hold the mayo, because by now all of you know my feelings on that horrible stuff. All in all, this is a damn good burger.
Now those are fries! Again photo from the internet, but that's what mine looked like, nice thick crinkle cut fries, well cooked until they were brown. Hot, and properly salted, they were among the best take out fries I've had. 
PIZZA
Of course, I've always had a preference for those crinkle cuts, but these were so good that no ketchup was used. Between the burger and the fries, this meal certainly will bring me back to Culver's on another trip.
After lunch, back on the road, headed to Dublin Ohio to see Mara, Greg, Leah, Lillian, Simon, and Max the pooch dog. 
PIZZA
Had a lovely visit, it was so good to catch up with them, the kids are getting big, Max is a howl, and all is good in Dublin! I'll have to ride out this way more often, getting to see family is always such fun!


On the last leg now, should be back home late on Thursday, plenty to do for our family reunion at Ginny's house on Saturday, which is going to be such fun! And I think I'll send out to Frantoni's on Friday for a nice saucy sicilian pie, I've had this craving the last few days for...

PIZZA! PIZZA! PIZZA!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment